Huawei has launched a number of devices this year, and the Mate 9 is the latest one from the brand. The flagship comes loaded with some impressive features such as dual rear cameras, a powerful processor, fingerprint sensor, and a 4000mAh battery.
The device is equipped with a 5.9-inch dispay with a resolution of 1920 × 1080 pixels.
Powering the device is Huawei’s new octa-core Kirin 960 processor (4 × 2.4GHz cortex-A73 + 4 × 1.8GHz cortex-A53), along with the powerful Mali-G71 MP8 GPU and Huawei’s own i6 co-processor.
The phablet is packed with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of onboard storage (expandable up to 256GB via a microSD card).
On the camera side of things, Huawei brings in a similar dual Leica camera setup found on the P9. This time around, its a 20MP monochrome sensor and a 12MP RGB sensor. Both cameras feature optical image stabilization and a 4-in-1 hybrid autofocus system that includes laser, contrast, depth, and phase detection. The cameras also support 4K video recording. On the front of the device, is an 8MP sensor with f/1.9 aperture and autofocus.
The Mate 9 runs EMUI 5.0 on top of Android 7.0 Nougat, packs in a 4000mAh battery with SuperCharge technology, and supports 4G LTE and NFC. The device also comes with a fingerprint sensor and USB Type-C port. Color options include Space Grey, Moonlight Silver, Champagne Gold, Mocha Brown, Ceramic Brown, and Black.
Huawei also launched a special version of the Mate 9 known as the Porche Design Mate 9. This is a limited edition with a curved 5.5-inch QHD AMOLED display. It has 6GB of RAM and 256GB of internal storage. The device will come in Graphite Black color.
Price and Availability
The standard version of the Mate 9 is priced at €699 ($776), while the limited edition will set you back €1,395 ($1,549).
Key Specs of Huawei Mate 9
- Operating System: EMUI 5.0 based on Android 7.0 Nougat
- Display: 5.9-inch FHD display, 373ppi
- Dimensions: 156.9×78.9×7.9mm
- Processor: Hisilicon Kirin 960 octa-core processor (4 × 2.4GHz cortex-A73 + 4 × 1.8GHz cortex-A53)
- Rear camera: 20MP Monochrome + 12MP RGB, f/2.2 aperture, OIS , PDAF+CAF+Laser+Depth auto focus
- Front Camera: 8MP camera with f/1.9 aperture, autofocus
- RAM: 4GB
- Internal storage: 64GB
- Expandable storage: yes, up to 256GB (uses SIM 2 slot)
- Connectivity: USB-Type C, Bluetooth 4.2, 4G LTE, NFC
- SIM Type: Hybrid Dual SIM (nano+ nano/microSD)
- Battery: 4000mAh battery (non-removable)